01 Jan 1970 |

Dudas Coke update

Dudus Coke latest


Confessed gangster went from being undisputed don of the Jamaican underworld to a US felon in 2009

NO COMMENT: ‘Dudus’ answered only 12 of 182 questions when interrogated

CONFESSED JAMAICAN gangster Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke decided to remain silent about his criminal lifestyle during a marathon interview with police investigators a day after he was captured in May 2010.

Superintendent Michael Phipps, the veteran investigator who conducted the three-hour interview at the Jamaica Defence Force Up Park Camp headquarters, said Coke only answered 12 of the 182 questions he was asked.

Superintendent Phipps said questions Coke answered related to his name, address and his parents’ name.

He told the West Kingston Commission of Enquiry this morning (Nov 5) that the other questions were met with the same response that based on the advice of his attorneys he had nothing to say.

Superintendent Phipps said the drug kingpin gave his address as building 25 Tivoli Gardens and indicated that he was a self-employed businessman.

However, the veteran investigator said Coke clammed up when asked how he managed to elude the security forces during the May 2010 operation in his Tivoli Gardens stronghold and whether he was wearing army uniform that day.

Coke’s fall from the undisputed don of the Jamaican underworld to a US felon started in September 2009, with an extradition request from the United States for the man, who was a patron saint to the residents of Tivoli Gardens, a menace to law enforcement officials and a powerful figure to local politicians.

The extradition request led to a protracted dispute between the governments of Jamaica and the US.

The dispute lasted for almost a year and ended with then Prime Minister Bruce Golding acceding to the US request and sending both the Jamaica Defence Force and the Jamaica Constabulary Force into Tivoli Gardens to arrest Coke in May 2010.

The ensuing standoff between the armed forces and gunmen resulted in the death of at least 73 persons, one soldier and many unanswered questions.

Coke was not captured in the offensive, but he was held about a month later, allegedly disguised with a woman’s wig, in the company of clergyman Al Miller.

He waived his right to fight his extradition to the US and pleaded guilty to offences in 2011. He was sentenced to 23 years behind bars.